[Infusion-users] GPII realtime system moved to "Kettle"

Antranig Basman antranig.basman at colorado.edu
Thu Aug 15 21:09:20 EDT 2013

I've just committed to the universal and windows repositories branches drawn up by Yura which separate out
the core server-side components of the GPII realtime architecture, into a dedicated project known as
"Kettle" - this project is housed in github at
https://github.com/fluid-project/kettle
Issues will be tracked in JIRA at http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/KETTLE

This is largely a repository reorganisation, and the underlying codebase has only changed in a minimal way
to allow the node (npm) modules requested by a server configuration to be self-contained. Documentation for
configuring servers and apps remains at http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Configuration although this
documentation will shortly be migrated into the Kettle space. However, all outstanding pull requests to all
GPII repositories will need to be updated to merge with the new project structure.

Kettle, a server-side JavaScript platform, is a project that Fluid has been interested in for a number of
years. The current codebase is unrelated to previous versions we have experimented with, but has simply been
factored out from the "universal" repository of GPII since we judged that the feature set and API have
become sufficiently stable to merit a dedicated project. A notable difference in approach to previous
versions is that we have given up attempts to simulate a full jQuery environment on the server, together
with AJAX-compliant wrappers for server-side I/O - instead we have copied just the minimal jQuery
definitions sufficient to execute the infusion framework. In addition, this instantiation of Kettle is based
on the popular "express" platform, to which we defer as a base library handling request routing and some
server primitives.

Currently the linux repository requires to be updated to its version of the GPII-116 branch, I'd like to
request a volunteer to test and push in order to bring all 3 main repos into sync.

Cheers,
Antranig.