[Infusion-users] Websites using infusion etc.

James William Yoon jyoon at ocad.ca
Wed Jun 8 15:16:00 UTC 2011

Hi Fatima,

I'm happy to hear about your interest in UI Options.

Regarding the placement of UIO trigger button:

There aren't any guidelines per se on where one should position the UIO
trigger button. It depends largely on the context of your website, and
whether you've also customize the component itself.

Infusion 1.4 (coming in a couple weeks), will revamp the current UIO and
come initially with two configurations: 1) a panel version that shows the
UIO controls actively alongside your website, and 2) a full-page version
that has the controls on a separate page.

In the case of #1 (a panel version that drops down from your website), I
recommend you position the "Edit Appearance" button (or whatever you end up
naming it--"Display Preferences", "Customize Display", "Interface Options",
etc.) along the top edge of the site, so as to reinforce the metaphor that
the user is "pulling down" the panel when they trigger UIO.

One design where this is demonstrated is here:
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/User+interface+options+mocked+up+in+Inclusive+Learning+Handbook

In the case of #2 (a full-page version that's separate from your content
pages), this depends even more so on your existing website. It may be that
you add a link to the UIO controls page in a user's account settings page;
otherwise, it's generally sensible to place it near other page- or site-wide
elements (usually near the top or bottom of your page).

You can also see some of the original design intentions for UIO here:
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/User+interface+options%2C+Infusion+1.4%2C+draft+1+mockups

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

James

Hello,