[Infusion-users] how do I use the reorderer with RSF?

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 20:51:58 UTC 2010

Hi Chuck,

RSF and Infusion are two totally separate products, with quite different documentation. For specifics on using RSF, you might be able to get better advice on their forums:

http://ponder.org.uk/rsf/forums/list.page

For Infusion, we do have a user manual that includes tutorials and API references for all our components and the core framework. It's not perfect, but hopefully it will serve as a good starting point:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Infusion+Documentation

In terms of your question, there are two main techniques that most Reorderer users employ to send order changes from the Reorderer back to their server:

1. The "progressive enhancement" technique, where hidden form fields are stored in the markup and updated to reflect the current order of the items. The form can then be POSTed back to the server in the old fashioned way or using Ajax--your choice.

2. The JSON-based approach, where you POST back the order of items as an JSON array.

Both approaches are fully described (with code snippets) as part of the Reorderer documentation in our wiki:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Talking+to+the+Server+Using+The+afterMove+Event

I just updated this page to include a better explanation of the JSON-based approach. Hopefully you'll find it useful, but if you have suggestions for how we can improve the documentation, please don't hesitate to let us know.

I hope this helps,

Colin