[Infusion-users] Question Regarding "Uploader"

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 1 17:38:15 UTC 2010

Nikhil,
Justin has the right suggestion.

These are features that we talked about but that didn't get into the 1.0 version of the Uploader.

All we get back from the server are the number of bytes uploaded, which we get at fairly short, regular intervals. Deriving the upload rate and the time wouldn't be hard, but it also might not be very accurate, at least with out minimal variance in network speed and a large enough sampling--many files or a few large files.

(I suspect that this the same reason why most OS's say that a file transfer will take "12 minutes" before more accurately saying "2 minutes, 52 seconds", and then saying that there are "43 seconds remaining" for the last 2 minutes while the transfer completes.)

- Eli

On Feb 1, 2010, at 7:23 AM, Justin Obara wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I did a quick look at the Uploader's API and I think you could probably make use of the onFileProgress event.
> The onFileProgress event fires periodically with the file, fileBytesComplete, and fileTotalBytes.
> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Uploader+API#UploaderAPI-SupportedEvents
>
> Using this with some math and time functions would probably help you get at what you wanted.
>
> I've also cc'd Colin Clark and Eli Cochran, who both have spent time working on the Uploader, as they may have some more thoughts and ideas about this.
>
> Thanks
> Justin
>
> On 2010-01-29, at 7:46 AM, Nikhil Jain wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was interested to integrate the uploader component in my portal. And, I was curious to know that:
>>
>> Does it show the remaining time for the completion of upload?
>> And, is it capable to show the upload speed?
>>
>> If by default its not programmed to show these details, is it possible to achieve the above by making few changes?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Nikhil Jain
>>
>> Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now._______________________________________________
>> Infusion-users mailing list