[Infusion-users] Accessible Checkbox Demo

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 13:47:43 UTC 2009

Hi Jacki,

Sorry you've had trouble with this demo. It's one of our earliest
examples of our jQuery keyboard navigation plugin. We're in the midst
of a huge revamp of our demos for the Infusion 1.1.2, including new
keyboard navigation demos. This one is slated to be replaced.

It is only intended to demonstrate the use of our keyboard-a11y
plugin, allowing developers to add arrow key-style navigation to
ordinary DOM elements to make them navigable like regular checkboxes.
This demo does not include any support for ARIA, so it's probably not
going to be awesome in JAWS. It's not a holistic demo.

That said, here's a suggestion for your testing in JAWS:

For all application-style interactions that use the arrow keys for
navigation in JAWS, you'll need to turn the virtual PC cursor off. The
default keystroke for this is Insert-Z. If you do that, you'll notice
that the checkbox demo is indeed fully navigable with the arrow keys
in JAWS as expected. You'll also notice that, due to the lack of
suitable ARIA roles, the "checkboxiness" of the UI is not revealed to
the user by JAWS.

Here's a quick overview of the various cursor modes in JAWS:

http://www.accessibility.org/~max/doc/2004-jica/html/node8.html

The ARIA application role will enable some screen readers to
automatically switch off the virtual PC cursor, but I don't know that
it's supported by JAWS yet. Here's more information about this role:

http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#application

You may also want to spend some time with an experienced JAWS user to
learn how they navigate the Web and use the various cursor modes
available. It is a very enlightening process, and will help you with
your testing.

I hope you're able to see how the Fluid keyboard-a11y substantially
improves keyboard accessibility for custom DHTML widgets. It's only
one of the tools required to make accessible DHTML, and ARIA is
another big piece of the puzzle. We helped get ARIA support into
jQuery UI for exactly this reason. The Infusion components show a
better example of holistic accessibility, with ARIA roles, keyboard
navigation, and more.

Hope that helps,

Colin