[Infusion-users] Fwd: Automatic truncation

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 18 14:55:29 UTC 2009

Justin,
Thanks for forwarding. I had no idea that text-overflow existed. Looks like support is limited and it will only truncate from the end which isn't ideal if it's the end of the text which is unique. But still that's something.

We talked about writing a function for this for the Uploader lists but never got around to it because it was going to be tricky since calculating the overflow in any kind of intelligent was was tricky.

Thanks,
Eli

On Nov 18, 2009, at 5:50 AM, Justin Obara wrote:

> Sorry forgot to cc, the infusion-users list with my last message.
>
> - Justin
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Justin Obara <obara.justin at gmail.com>
>> Date: November 18, 2009 8:48:19 AM EST
>> To: Greg Gay <g.gay at utoronto.ca>
>> Cc: Jacob Farber <jacob.farber at utoronto.ca>
>> Subject: Automatic truncation
>>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I think it was Monday that you were asking if fluid had any automatic truncation.
>>
>> So I checked in with Jacob a bit, I've cc'd him to this e-mail, he knows more about our approach to this.
>>
>> Basically for engage we used some css to do this for us. It is not completely supported across browsers yet, and as such is only in the mobile FSS.
>>
>> You can take a look at the code here on lines 290 to 295 to get an idea of what we are doing.
>> http://source.fluidproject.org/svn/fluid/infusion/trunk/src/webapp/framework/fss/css/fss-mobile-iphone-layout.css
>>
>> We may be exploring this a bit more in the near future, but that is not definite yet.
>>
>> - Justin

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley