[Infusion-users] fluid infusion: dropdown inline edit & multiline inline edit

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 20:52:47 UTC 2009

Hey Christian,

Great questions! Responses inline...

On 5-Nov-09, at 4:51 AM, Christian Vuerings wrote:

> 1) What is the plan for the "Dropdown Inline Edit" component, when
> do you think it is going from the "Sneak peek" status to the
> "Preview" status?

The biggest reason we haven't already promoted Dropdown Inline Edit to
production status is that we're not 100% satisfied with the jQuery
selectbox plugin we use for rendering the dropdown. You've probably
seen the thread on this list about it.

There's been a lot of interest in this component, and we use it a lot
ourselves, so it's a big priority. The plan right now is to contribute
improvements back to the author of the selectbox plugin to add better
typeahead support, portal-friendliness, and accessibility.

I'm not certain about timelines yet, but rest assured it's high on our
list of priorities.

> 2) Is it possible to have a multiline inline edit, without the "Rich
> Text" functionality? (For now we use our own script to make the
> multiline edit work (without richtext) )

Yes, for sure. Inline Edit is really flexible about markup, so you can
provide just about anything inside the edit mode container. Just stick
a textarea in there, and you're pretty much ready to go. If you want
to do this programmatically, you can supply an "editModeRenderer"
function in your options to Inline Edit.

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Inline+Edit+API#InlineEditAPI-Options

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if we have any examples of this
in action, but it should be pretty straightforward.

Antranig may be able to chime in with details about how our more
sophisticated editModeRenderer and blurBinder functions work if you
want to create a more refined customized behaviour or integrate other
types of rich text editors.

> 3) Some users where complaining about the fact that when we use the
> "Simple Text Inline Edit" component and they use the tab key for
> navigating to each editable item. They first need to press the enter
> key before they can edit the content. Is there any reason why you
> did it this way and are we able to change this behaviour? e.g. If
> you start typing and the editable field has the focus, you are can
> enter data.

I'm interested to hear more about what your users are saying. The
design motivation for Inline Edit was to blur the modal distinction
between editing and viewing content. The point here is that it should
be easy to see content on the page, and then selectively edit
individual pieces of content.

For keyboard users, this becomes important for helping to avoid
errors. There's no risk that they accidentally edit data while they're
navigating through a page.

That said, the behaviour is certainly customizable. If you want an
Inline Editor to automatically switch into edit mode when it is
focused, you should be able to just a bind a focus event that calls
the edit() method on Inline Edit.

I hope this helps,