My experience with Keyboard on Browsing Web

Tony Atkins tony at raisingthefloor.org
Tue Mar 3 10:10:07 UTC 2020

Hi, Mohit.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience.  As you pointed
out, power users who prefer keyboard shortcuts can more easliy use sites
that can be easily navigated by keyboard.  This is a nice illustration of
how it's possible to make something that benefits multiple groups.

For some users, keyboard navigation is a critical means of accessing web
sites that would otherwise be out of reach.  For other users, keyboard
navigation is faster and nicer than other alternatives.  So, although my
idea was written in terms of the first group, your example is perfectly
valid, as the work might also be of benefit to PC gamers.

Anyway, as a next step, I would suggest taking some time to get to know the
Fluid community.  Read up on our tools, our practices, our goals, and the
ideas (like inclusive design) that inform our work.

You've already started participating in one of our shared spaces (this
mailing list).  I'd also encourage you to observe how we work in other
shared spaces such as the IRC channel, JIRA, GitHub.  Try out the tools we
use, ask questions, get to know the community and let them get to know you.

Cheers,

Tony