Documentation gap for Prefs Framework, and UIO confusion

Hung, Jonathan jhung at ocadu.ca
Thu Mar 7 14:55:00 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I spend a fair amount of time working with partners about integrating our tools into their projects, namely UI Options. Ideally I would like to be able to point our partners to a single demo, and a single guide so they can get up and running as quickly as possible. I can do that with UIO, but not Prefs Framework currently:

  1.  UI Options a nice user-friendly guide on how to set up UI Options here<https://docs.fluidproject.org/infusion/development/tutorial-userInterfaceOptions/UserInterfaceOptions.html>. The Prefs Framework does not have a similar guide.
  2.  It's never really explained in the documentation what the differences are between the Prefs Framework and UIO, and why someone would choose one over the other.
  3.  Is there a reason to maintain the distinction between Prefs Framework and UIO?

To me the core issue is that Prefs Framework and UIO are essentially the same, but currently there is a disparity in the documentation between these two entities. Would it make sense to:

  *   convert the UIO documentation to be Prefs Framework centric
  *   stop using the term "UIO", and focus on the "Prefs Framework"
  *   explain how Prefs Framework can tailored to your needs by either taking away features you don't need, or adding features you want

For now I will continue to point partners to UIO because it's a friendlier path, but ideally I would like a strategy for getting them to use Prefs Framework instead.

- Jon.

---
Jonathan Hung, Inclusive Designer
Email: jhung at ocadu.ca