Which CMS to use for new site?

Harnum, Alan aharnum at ocadu.ca
Thu Aug 15 15:12:05 UTC 2019

Gregor - thanks for the very useful summary. My initial thoughts:

  *   My impression of Netlify CMS from brief exploration is that it's not substantially more friendly to people who don't know Markdown than simply using Markdown. Other who have used it more extensively may be able to comment more.
  *   I will second Jon's point: "There's a good chance the new IDRC site will run on its given platform for much longer than anticipated."
  *   If we feel the features of a CMS are necessary, I would advocate going with Wordpress as a well-known open source project.
  *   I would also suggest we consider whether or not a well-designed Hugo-based site with workflows and documentation for contribution might suffice. We could explore making use of Netlify CMS in this context.
  *   I would also add as a minimum requirement that any CMS we choose must be accessible or have the capability to be made accessible. I feel Wordpress (despite the recent Gutenberg issues) is probably in a much better spot for this than Netlify CMS.
  *   I think it's also important to note for this conversation that Netlify CMS is an open-source project (https://www.netlifycms.org/) based on some of the code used for the commercial Netlify service (https://www.netlify.com/) - the relationship is, roughly speaking, the same as the one between the Wordpress open-source project and https://wordpress.com/