Which CMS to use for new site?

Moss, Gregor gmoss at ocadu.ca
Wed Aug 14 20:30:38 UTC 2019

Hi all,

We're getting started on designs and planning the work for a couple of new sites here at the IDRC (the IDRC site https://idrc.ocadu.ca/ and a redesign of the ILDH https://handbook.floeproject.org/), and we'd love to get some feedback from you on which content management system you think would be best. Content on these sites won't be changing too often, about once every month or two.

Some minimum requirements in no particular order:

  *   Content searching either built in or easily added and maintained
  *   Tagging and/or other metadata capabilities
  *   Ease of contribution for non-developers
  *   Potential for contributions from outside users (much like the Fluid Wiki and Jira)
  *   Free (as in beer), and ideally FOSS
  *   Fully customizable in terms of markup and styling on a page-by-page basis
  *   Minimal intervention from an infrastructure perspective

We've been looking primarily at WordPress (https://wordpress.org/) and Netlify CMS (https://www.netlifycms.org/).

My questions to each of you:

  *   Do you have any arguments for or against either of these two options?
  *   Do you have any other CMS's you would recommend checking out?
  *   Do you have any other advice?

Personally, I'm partial to Netlify CMS due to its seemingly lightweight setup, performance and the potential for integrating Infusion if we would like any features from there. It runs on the JAMstack, which means that server responses will be much quicker (among other benefits). On the other hand, Netlify is pretty fresh and finding support, plugins or articles on SO won't be as easy while WordPress has been around for over 15 years and has a fairly healthy support community.

Cheers and thanks,
Gregor