Community Meeting ( Mar 28 ): Onboarding for learning with online systems

Justin Obara obara.justin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 17:48:21 UTC 2018

At this week’s Community Meeting
<https://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Community+workshops> ( Mar 28,
2018 ) Alana Callan will be talking about onboarding for learning with
online systems.

Meeting Notes
<https://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Community+Meeting+Notes+%28Mar+28%2C+2018%29+-+Onboarding+for+learning+with+online+systems>

New Problem Statement:

Technology is an affordance that can be used to support and propagate
learning in our busy, connected, global world. But how do you design for
effective and engaging online learning to occur?

You design it well and provide a ‘map’ so that the learner knows:

   1. Where they are when they enter the course
      2. They see a ‘map’ of the course and directions on how to follow it
      3. They see optional ‘routes’ and ‘places to explore’

This design framework allows the instructor/faculty member/ or teacher to
facilitate learning, encourage active participation, and a map of how the
students will successfully arrive at the end and what they will have
accomplished or experienced along the way.
Proposed Outputs of My Research Project:

A framework for developing critical wayfinding/navigation system that
supports learners (in higher education, specifically at the college level)
when they enter a learning environment (Course page, Course site, virtual
environment, etc.,) and need to know where they are, where they are going,
what they will be doing along the way, and how they get to the end
successfully.

The initial conceptualization of this project is to create a course
wayfinding system or map that is built based on the learning outcomes of
the course or the competencies being assessed, the organization of the
course in terms of content, activities, and assessments (evaluation).

Courses could then be mapped to the program outcomes or competencies.

Programs could be mapped to further educational or experience pathways,
career paths, or other options that could be explored by the learner.

This project will focus on designing a course wayfinding/mapping framework,
future research may take this further should I seek research funding or
other learning opportunities that will allow me to continue with this
concept development.
Proposed Outcomes of Research Project

Design a course blueprint template that helps the content expert (teacher,
faculty or instructor) align content, activities and assessment to the
learning outcomes of the course. This course blueprint will be used to
design a wayfinding/mapping system that will support the learner’s journey
through the course and provide them with the overview and the directions
they need to successfully travel to the end of the course.

Time:

2:30 - 4:00pm ET

Location:

Locally: IDRC Office <http://idrc.ocadu.ca/about-the-idrc/contact-us>