Community Design Crit - April 10, Inclusive Combination Locks

Antranig Basman antranig.basman at colorado.edu
Tue Apr 10 09:35:20 UTC 2018

I wondered how it worked, and appears to be a form of "mechanical hash
function" -
https://toool.nl/images/e/e5/The_New_Master_Lock_Combination_Padlock_V2.0.pdf

"The number of combinations is unlimited, but the number of
mechanically-possible states is markedly finite: 7,501 to be exact. mh
likens this to the mechanical version of a hash function. I can't think
of a more concise allegory for it."