Fedora/CentOS vagrant boxes updated

Joseph Scheuhammer clown at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 2 13:11:44 UTC 2018

PackageKit is used by the Linux implementation of the GPII
DeviceReporter.  So, there are two configurations:  PackageKit is not
required for infusion VMs (AFAIK), but it is for GPII/Linux VMs.
Perhaps that can be handled by different provisioning scripts.

On 2018-03-30 8:02 PM, Tirloni, Giovanni wrote:
> Fedora 27 v20180330 released (tested with infusion and universal)
>
> This version disables PackageKit [0] which is the service that, among other things, keeps checking for software updates and is not necessary in the context of vagrant boxes (since we release periodic updates).
>
> PackageKit was consuming >250MB of memory (in a VM limited to 2GB, leaving only ~700MB free) and triggering out of memory errors in CI. Packages can still be installed normally through the package manager (dnf).
>
> If anyone wants to enable PackageKit, this is the command: vagrant ssh -c 'sudo systemctl unmask packagekit'
>
> Same instructions for updating boxes listed in previous emails still apply (see below).
>
> 0 - https://www.freedesktop.org/software/PackageKit/
>
> On 03/22/2018 04:25 PM, Tirloni, Giovanni wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>    These boxes have been updated:
>>
>>    *inclusivedesign/centos7
>>    * inclusivedesign/fedora27
>>
>>    Both now include Docker CE 18.03 (previous version was 1.13).
>>
>>    Additionally, F27 was updated to include Chrome 65 and Firefox 59.
>>
>>    F27 was tested with GPII/universal and fluid-project/infusion. CentOS7 was tested with GPII/nexus.
>>
>>    See below for instructions on how to update.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Giovanni
>>

>> On 02/28/2018 01:50 PM, Tirloni, Giovanni wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The following Vagrant boxes have been updated (v20180228):
>>>
>>>     * inclusivedesign/centos7
>>>     * inclusivedesign/fedora26
>>>     * inclusivedesign/fedora27
>>>
>>> They have been built/tested with:
>>>
>>>     * VirtualBox 5.2.8 (needed for Linux 4.15)
>>>     * vagrant 2.0.2
>>>
>>> You can update them by running these commands:
>>>
>>>     $ vagrant box update --box inclusivedesign/centos7
>>>     $ vagrant box update --box inclusivedesign/fedora26
>>>     $ vagrant box update --box inclusivedesign/fedora27
>>>
>>> You projects will need to be destroyed and recreated, please make backups if needed (vagrant destroy; vagrant up).
>>>
>>> To verify that all your boxes are up to date:
>>>
>>>     $ vagrant box outdated --global
>>>
>>> To remove old versions automatically:
>>>
>>>     $ vagrant box prune
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Giovanni

;;;;joseph.

'Call me hobophobic, but I don't think two vagrants should be allowed to marry.'
                               - J. Tiedrich -