Current best practices for representing text edits in a screen reader?...

Tony Atkins tony at raisingthefloor.org
Thu Oct 26 09:29:40 UTC 2017

Hi, Joseph:

I think I'll call it "clownfishing"... ;)

So, to help myself understand where the limitations were coming in, I
prepared this demo of a range of techniques:

http://the-t-in-rtf.github.io/diff-demo/oh-firefox-sake.html

I ran through this with VoiceOver (VO) on the Mac and NVDA on Windows.  The
results were hugely varied, so I prepared a chart:

*Chrome:VO*

*FF:VO*

*Opera:VO*

*Safari:VO*

*FF:NVDA*

*Chrome:NVDA*

*IE11:NVDA*

*Edge:NVDA*

*del and ins tags*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*Y*

*N*

*CSS :before and :after content*

*Y*

*N*

*Y*

*Y*

*Y*

*Y*

*N*

*Y*

*hidden + aria-hidden=false*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*Y*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*display:none + aria-hidden=false*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*Y*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*aria-label*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*N*

*0-clipping reader-only text using CSS*

*Y*

*Y*

*Y*

*Y*

*Y*

*Y*

*Y*

*Y*

Although IE11 support is IMO more of a "nice to have" at this point,
support for FireFox is a bit more to give up, and at least in El Capitan (I
know, shush), it doesn't work.  Can someone running Sierra or High Sierra
confirm whether the results are any better with Firefox and a newer version
of VoiceOver?  I'd also love to hear from someone familiar with JAWS or
Orca about how the page works for them.

The good news is that I do have at least one approach that works in all
tested screen readers and browsers.  A small problem is that IE 11 does
actually announce that content inside of del and ins tags has been deleted
or inserted.  I've also read that JAWS has a "proofreading" mode with
similar announcements, although I don't see that in their current
documentation.  Again, input from JAWS users would be helpful there.

In summary, at the moment I have a technique that works everywhere I've
tested, but there is risk of a small percentage of users getting double
announcements.  Any ideas to improve on what I have so far are welcome.

Thanks,

Tony