YouTube Channel for Fluid Project videos, transferring videos to it, general video standards

Harnum, Alan aharnum at ocadu.ca
Mon Mar 13 14:41:45 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Summary of the Below

1)       There is an existing FluidProject YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBT-cBmvdLAhCm58ulpBulQ that we can add newly made videos to

2)       YouTube has no automatic function for transferring videos from one account to another, but there is a manual process (which results in the loss of any metrics and requires re-uploading the video and captions).

3)       The consensus from last week’s planning meeting seemed to be that we should, at minimum, caption published videos.

4)       Please share any thoughts or questions about how we can best make use of video for documenting and disseminating our work.

Fluid Project YouTube Channel

We’ve made a number of videos recently and uploaded them to YouTube under various personal accounts.

It would be good to consolidate these under the existing FluidProject account at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBT-cBmvdLAhCm58ulpBulQ (latest videos from the long-ago year of 2009) rather than have them floating around under personal accounts.

Transferring Videos

I am currently the caretaker of the fluid.project.team Google account as well as the uploader of some recent videos under my personal YouTube account, so have been researching how to do this:

1)       YouTube’s “answer” to transferring videos from one account to another is basically “download your videos, then upload them to the other channel, losing all metrics etc in the process”: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2404846?hl=en

2)       You also need to download and re-upload any captioning of the video, recreate any annotations or other overlays, etc. All a bit of a pain.

I’ve done the above for my two recent videos, and can work with others on doing it for theirs.

In the meantime, I’ve added a playlist of videos I’m aware of from other accounts: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0t4cuggBuVZ0ZuJjvOHeuuzLzSNnxKR2 (helped by the list at https://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/IDRC-relevant+Videos)

Standards for Video

At the planning meeting last week we talked a little about what our standards should be for making videos publicly available – there is a desire to create more on the fly videos, but also a recognition that effort must be taken to make sure we follow good accessibility practice. The consensus seemed to be that English-language captioning is a minimum requirement. YouTube’s automatic captioning is not good enough.

For those who have not used YouTube’s captioning editor (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734796?hl=en), my experience has been good when transcribing English-language videos. Generally I have only had to transcribe the spoken audio, and YouTube has been able to sync it automatically to the video. This obviously saves considerable time, although captioning is still labour intensive (especially with multiple speakers).

Going Forward – Questions? Comments?

I’ve tried to summarize the results of discussions at the planning meeting and otherwise, but if there are other opinions or questions, please voice them!

ALAN HARNUM
SENIOR INCLUSIVE DEVELOPER
INCLUSIVE DESIGN RESEARCH CENTRE, OCAD UNIVERSITY

E aharnum at ocadu.ca<mailto:aharnum at ocadu.ca>
OCAD UNIVERSITY
100 McCaul Street, Toronto, Canada, M5T 1W1
www.ocadu.ca<http://ocadu.ca/>