Continuous integration and Wordpress development

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 20:40:30 UTC 2017

Hi Jon,

Great explanation of the issues involved! It doesn't sound like the two approaches are mutually exclusive, which is good.

For sites that we host within our community, I think it's very reasonable to work with Gio and others to create a standard container that includes our supported version of WordPress, the UIO plugin, our parent theme, and a "blank" or "stub" child theme all set up for people to edit. Then it's (hopefully) as simple as spinning up the container for a new site and regenerating it when upgrades to the theme or plugin are required. As you say, a simple tutorial for people who aren't WordPress or Git experts will be crucial so that people understand where to put their changes and enhancements so that they won't get replaced when upgrades occur.

When the theme gets to the point where it's ready for broad use by people who aren't within our community or aren't quite WP-savvy, then we can publish to the official theme repository.

Colin