Removals and deprecation

Justin Obara obara.justin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:45:02 UTC 2017

For my work on https://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-5536 I'll need
to refactor the textfieldslider to share logic with the new steppers. As
part of this work I figure I could tackle the task we mentioned at the Infusion
2.0 review
<https://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Post+Infusion+2.0+Review+Meeting+Notes>
of
removing the jQuery UI version of the sliders.

Unfortunately we didn’t go through and mark it and other things we’d like
to remove/change as deprecated before we tagged Infusion 2.0. According to
semver <http://semver.org/#how-should-i-handle-deprecating-functionality> they
suggest at least 1 minor revision between deprecation and removal.

I’m not 100% sure that this qualifies as something that needs to be
deprecated as opposed to just removed. I’m also not sure how closely we
need to follow this model ( it’s part of the faq and not in the spec ),
although it would definitely be more user friendly if we do.

I’d suggest that we cut a quick “deprecation release” ( e.g. 2.1 ) where we
essentially take a look through and mark everything we think we may want to
remove as deprecated. I don’t think this would require any testing. We
could even make it off of the 2.0 tag.

I’m open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks
Justin