Infusion dev numbering proposal

Justin Obara obara.justin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:59:00 UTC 2017

Regarding the earlier conversation regarding the version number in Infusion
master, I believe that discussion has come to a close. I’ve filed a PR to
update the version number to 3.0.0 (
https://github.com/fluid-project/infusion/pull/800 ).

Thanks
Justin

On January 17, 2017 at 8:55:10 AM, Justin Obara (obara.justin at gmail.com)
wrote:

1. Always keep the version of master set to the next major release number.
So, since we've released 2.0.0, master should be set up to publish
development releases for 3.0.0. When we eventually cut 3.0.0, it will be
incremented to 4.0.0, and so on. The reality is that we know we're going be
moving fast and making lots of big changes over the next while as new
framework features emerge (such as the new Renderer), so we might as well
assume that our next release will be a major one.

2. If we do find the need to cut a smaller 2.0.y or a 2.x.y maintenance
release due to major bugs or features, we simply do what we've done in the
past and use a release branch, apply or back port any fixes we need into
this branch when the demand builds up, and then cut a release as needed.