CouchDB - managing design documents?

Harnum, Alan aharnum at ocadu.ca
Thu Aug 24 14:16:26 UTC 2017

Hi all,

We (Greg Moss & myself) are curious to know the opinions of others who've worked with it (especially in the context of Infusion / Kettle) about how to best manage design documents when using CouchDB as part of an application.

Specifically, what approaches have worked for externalizing design document code, ensuring the database has the latest design document code, etc?

I know one example of doing this is in gpii-oauth2-datastore, which is a JSON externalization of the views that is imported to the DB as part of application provisioning, described at: https://github.com/GPII/universal/tree/master/gpii/node_modules/gpii-oauth2/gpii-oauth2-datastore/dbViews

I am wondering if people have seen or considered other approaches.

My own feeling is that it would be useful to be able to model an expected CouchDB database design document as an Infusion component, with the component taking responsibility for ensuring a set of view functions are present in the specified DB, but I don't feel a great certainty about this.

Curious as to the thoughts of others!

Alan

ALAN HARNUM
SENIOR INCLUSIVE DEVELOPER
INCLUSIVE DESIGN RESEARCH CENTRE, OCAD UNIVERSITY

E aharnum at ocadu.ca<mailto://aharnum@ocadu.ca>

OCAD UNIVERSITY
100 McCaul Street, Toronto, Canada, M5T 1W1
www.ocadu.ca<http://ocadu.ca/>