Standard workflow in maintaining and creating icon fonts

Hung, Jonathan jhung at ocadu.ca
Mon Aug 21 18:08:20 UTC 2017

Hi Eloisa,

Thanks so much for doing this!

I went through the guide and have some comments / thoughts.

We like to share what we've learned with others, so it may be useful to approach the documentation from a couple perspectives:

  1.  someone who isn't too familiar with Illustrator
  2.  someone who isn't very technical (upon mention of "command prompt" and they've already hit the back button on their browser. :) )
  3.  someone who is from outside the IDRC

This means you may have to describe things in greater / simpler detail or link to resources that help. For example you may want to describe how to import an Action into AI, or maybe link to a resource that shows you how to import .AIA files.

For the parts of the documentation where it is Would it be possible to generalize the instructions to have both general and IDRC specific instructions? Perhaps attach the AI and AIA file to the wiki page so those not at the IDRC can use that as an example.

Regarding the grunt-webfont generation, it may be helpful to back up a little and say what the prerequisites are (i.e. Step 1. Install npm<https://docs.npmjs.com/getting-started/installing-node>, etc.).

Also it's not immediately clear how grunt-webfont is installed without the fontforge engine. Their project documentation mentions an `engine` option, but doesn't explicitly give instructions. It may be useful to type out exactly what is required.

As for the rest of the documentation, it would be useful to give pointers to other documentation on how to use icon fonts. i.e. maybe the icon font documentation on Fluid project<http://docs.fluidproject.org/infusion/development/tutorial-iconFonts/HowToCreateAndUseFontIcons.html> or elsewhere on the Wiki is useful?

Incidentally, the existing icon font documentation on the Fluid Project should get updated / deprecated once this documentation get finalized.

Let me know if you want me to clarify anything.

Thanks Eloisa for going down this rabbit hole! 😊

- Jon.

---
Jonathan Hung, Inclusive Designer
Email: jhung at ocadu.ca