Wordpress projects - Why the wp-a11y-theme uses Posts instead of Pages

Hung, Jonathan jhung at ocadu.ca
Mon Aug 21 14:23:17 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I was recently asked why the wp-11y-theme I've been working on<https://github.com/jhung/wp-a11y-theme/tree/foundation> (for Wordpress) uses Posts instead of Pages for displaying majority of the content. I thought I'd reproduce my reasoning here in the fluid-work list in case anyone would like to chime in.

Essentially, Wordpress offers two ways of creating content - Pages and Posts. Pages are for static unchanging content which are written once and rarely modified. The classic example are "Contact" pages on a Wordpress site. Posts are for content that gets added periodically.  (For a description of the differences between Post and Pages, visit "Post vs. Page" article on Wordpress.com<https://en.support.wordpress.com/post-vs-page/>).

The Wordpress sites the IDRC has been developing has content that appears static and rarely changed. So if we're following the Post vs. Page definition above, one would think to use Pages for the content, right? Yet, this isn't the approach I've taken with the wp-a11y theme. For an example, the BIG IDeA website<http://www.bigidea.one> has content that is mostly static but uses Posts instead of Pages for most of the content.

The reasons for using Posts instead of Pages (for sites like BIG IDeA) is because:

- Posts offer navigation from content to content more easily and automatically by Wordpress. This can be accomplished using Pages, but it will all have to be done manually by someone.

- Posts can use categorization; Pages do not. Without this categorization, we won't  be able to have category landing pages for each section on the site, and managing and displaying groups of content is more challenging.

- Wordpress offers more ways to generate navigation for Posts than for Pages.

- Posts can be syndicated to RSS feeds, so if you make changes or add to posts, anyone using RSS will pick it up. Pages don't have this functionality.

- Also I think Search Engine Optimization is done differently for Posts too, although I haven't done much research into this area.

Other sites may want to use all Pages, which is fine if there's a justification for it, but for our application it will make things harder.

Although we're using Posts for our projects, the visitor to the site doesn't see something "bloggy" - which is exactly what we want. We want something that looks like Pages, but has the functionality and flexibility of Posts.

Someone (probably Socrates) once said "Just because you quack like a duck, and walk like a duck - it doesn't mean you have to stop being a chicken."  😊

- Jon.

---
Jonathan Hung, Inclusive Designer
Email: jhung at ocadu.ca