Moving away from Markdown to straight HTML for Inclusive Design Guide site

Harnum, Alan aharnum at ocadu.ca
Wed Oct 5 18:03:52 UTC 2016

Hi Jon,

Thanks for getting this discussion started - I make extensive use of Markdown in other areas and find it to be advantageous when I am able to write in "pure" Markdown – for me it's an elegant means of composing longer texts to output to HTML. So prefix the below by saying I'm a big Markdown fan.

My opinions (which don't have a definite conclusion one way or the other):

  *   Tautological statement: the harder it is to author documentation, the less documentation will get written by anyone. It's important that our systems and standards for contributing documentation be as frictionless as possible. I've personally found the requirement of mixing Markdown and HTML to meet our styling and formatting requirements (in both the ILDH and the Infusion Documentation site) to be more onerous than simply using one or the other. I obviously say that as someone who can author documents in both formats.
  *   I think we need to fall to one side or the other of it being possible to create our documentation source code in pure Markdown, or our styling & formatting requirements being complex enough that Markdown can't handle them and we need to expect contributors to author content in HTML
  *   I am uncertain how much friendlier Markdown is vs. HTML to someone who is unfamiliar with the concept of document markup, but I think we also need to recognize that going to pure HTML may represent a step backwards in user friendliness and being welcoming to the non-technical. Do we need some consideration of whether our "styling and formatting requirements" themselves may form a barrier to contribution?
  *   It may be worth looking at the issue at https://github.com/chjj/marked/issues/556 & its linked issues – it's possible we may be able to use the plugin configuration options to get a Markdown parser that behaves more as we would like it.

ALAN HARNUM
SENIOR INCLUSIVE DEVELOPER
INCLUSIVE DESIGN RESEARCH CENTRE, OCAD UNIVERSITY

E aharnum at ocadu.ca<mailto://aharnum@ocadu.ca>

OCAD UNIVERSITY
100 McCaul Street, Toronto, Canada, M5T 1W1
www.ocadu.ca<http://ocadu.ca/>