Is it time to revisit font icons

Hung, Jonathan jhung at ocadu.ca
Thu Apr 14 20:06:33 UTC 2016

I’m digging up this email thread now that I’ve spent some time using SVGs for the Quality Infrastructure demo.

Here are some personal remarks:

- being able to style an SVG using CSS is very desirable and convenient. I was able to easily add contrast styling for graphs, logos, and button icons with a few lines of CSS.

- if a SVG specifies a default width, height, and colour (which is typical of most SVGs created using Adobe Illustrator), you would not be able to override it with CSS as the default values have higher priority. I had to manually delete the values from the <SVG> element in order for custom CSS to work.

- positioning and styling SVGs is much more convenient and predictable than with icon fonts.

Bottom line: I really liked using SVGs inline with the HTML. It was easy to style and use.

Is it a viable strategy to track *.SVG files separately in git, and then copy and past the SVG element into HTML as needed?

- Jon.

--

JONATHAN HUNG

INCLUSIVE DESIGNER, IDRC

T: 416 977 6000 x3951

F: 416 977 9844

E: jhung at ocadu.ca<mailto:jhung at ocadu.ca>

OCAD UNIVERSITY

Inclusive Design Research Centre

205 Richmond Street W. 2nd Floor, Toronto, ON, M5V 1V3

www.ocadu.ca<http://www.ocadu.ca/>

www.idrc.ocad.ca<http://www.idrc.ocad.ca/>