Soliciting Thoughts & Feedback for Community Meeting on Introduction to Programming

Harnum, Alan aharnum at ocadu.ca
Tue Apr 5 16:12:08 UTC 2016

We could play http://www.thinkfun.com/products/code-master/ :) (I just ordered my copy this weekend & it should arrive this week)

From: "Treviranus, Jutta" <jtreviranus at ocadu.ca<mailto:jtreviranus at ocadu.ca>>
Date: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 11:54 AM
To: Alan Harnum <aharnum at ocadu.ca<mailto:aharnum at ocadu.ca>>
Cc: "Treviranus, Jutta" <jtreviranus at ocadu.ca<mailto:jtreviranus at ocadu.ca>>, "fluid-work at lists.idrc.ocad.ca<mailto:fluid-work at lists.idrc.ocad.ca>" <fluid-work at lists.idrc.ocad.ca<mailto:fluid-work at lists.idrc.ocad.ca>>
Subject: Re: Soliciting Thoughts & Feedback for Community Meeting on Introduction to Programming

This is great.

I used to co-teach a class called “Programming for non-programmers”. Back then we started with Turtle Logo, later Basic, then Small Talk, then Scratch.  I also showed the progression from machine code and up through the layers of abstraction. We made it intergenerational, including fairly young kids. One thing that worked very well was pairing a very very hesitant programmer with a courageous programmer.

I would encourage a physical or experiential element to the class.

Jutta