Soliciting Thoughts & Feedback for Community Meeting on Introduction to Programming

Taliesin Love Smith ts14hh at student.ocadu.ca
Tue Apr 5 15:12:42 UTC 2016

Hi Alan,
This is a great idea, especially for MDes students who might have more
experience with front-end scripting or visual design.

I have ventured down the road to learn to program many times! I still
haven't thrown-in the towel, but have accepted that I will never be a whiz
:-) I've read books, done courses, and even built a web-site using the
python-based django framework. I am very comfortable with code, but still
don't feel like a programmer :-)

Like any new skill, it takes a lot of practice to get good. For novices,
understanding how to transfer from basic stuff to more complex stuff is
important. There's often a gap - the easy stuff is dead easy and the next
step really hangs newbies up.

A fundamental skill in programming is trouble shooting. Developing strong
trouble shooting techniques is required in order to understand what the
programmer is telling the code to do. Something on this topic might be
really useful.

Nowadays, no one can contribute to an open source project without
understanding version control, so that might be a useful (but separate)
topic as well for a novice.

Related to version control and open source projects...how does a novice
introduce herself (or himself) to an open source project that s/he is
interested in contributing to.

Unfortunately, I will be traveling on May 4th, but I will be in Toronto for
the end of Grad Ex and the the beginning of the MDes Grad Extra. I'll check
in with you to see how it went and what the next plans are.

Taliesin