Soliciting Thoughts & Feedback for Community Meeting on Introduction to Programming

Harnum, Alan aharnum at ocadu.ca
Tue Apr 5 14:36:00 UTC 2016

Hi Fluid folks,

Some months back we were discussing possible community workshops and I floated up “Introduction to Programming” as a topic – this received some interest and we’ve now scheduled it for May 4, which means I need to decide what to do for it. :)

So I’d like to throw a few questions out to the community before I start down any road and throw the following questions out to anyone interested in this topic:

  1.  What are the big or small questions you have about computer programming? These can be conceptual, historical, practical, psychological, whatever.
  2.  Are you interested in doing some hands-on activities? I was thinking it might be fun to do some live programming as a group.
  3.  If you’ve gone through any kind of “introduction to programming” material before and found it weird, alienating or otherwise negative, what was it that you think created that experience?

I’d like this to be fun and informative (within the constraint of the time the community meeting gives us), and people’s opinions would be very helpful.

ALAN HARNUM
SENIOR INCLUSIVE DEVELOPER
INCLUSIVE DESIGN RESEARCH CENTRE, OCAD UNIVERSITY

E aharnum at ocadu.ca<mailto://aharnum@ocadu.ca>

OCAD UNIVERSITY
100 McCaul Street, Toronto, Canada, M5T 1W1
www.ocadu.ca<http://ocadu.ca/>