a sonification experiment

Ayotte, Dana dayotte at ocadu.ca
Mon Aug 31 18:06:55 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I spent some time on a simple sonification experiment and wanted to share my thoughts with you. I was looking at how to arrange the stacking of sounds. I’ve tried to visually represent it here (and have also provided examples). In this case there are 5 individual tracks/values/sounds. The dashed lines represent the duration of the sound (playing from left to right and all sounds playing at once).

what I was thinking of as “left justified”:

—————————————
———————————
————————
—————
——

Example:

and “right justified:
—————————————
      ———————————
                 ————————
                            —————
                                      ——

Example:

and “centered”:
—————————————
        ————————
             —————
                   ——

Example:

In the first case (“left justified”) my thought was that it’s difficult to separate out all the sounds when you hear them all play together right away. Is it better to “right justify” them, so that you hear each sound join individually? Or perhaps this can also be achieved by “centering” the sounds?

The tricky part of course is that there are so many parameters - for example, one instrument each playing a different pitch (as heard here), vs a variety of instruments, and ascending/descending scales vs random pitch, etc. Also thinking about how to combine this with with a sequential representation, i.e.:

Lots to experiment with. Your thoughts are welcome!

Dana