CSS Frameworks

Cheetham, Anastasia acheetham at ocadu.ca
Thu Feb 20 14:33:17 EST 2014

Yesterday, we held a Community Workshop about CSS frameworks, where Jon talked to us about what frameworks offer and how they work in general. Jon's slide can be found athttps://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1F-MyQQH--DJnztLLyLA1VfTwiSRqV5X9iOztWE46rgY/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p

We also discussed what we – the Fluid community – are looking for in a CSS framework, and what further steps we might take to help us finalize our decision around which framework to use. We've updated a wiki page with notes about our criteria and explorations:
   http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/CSS+Framework+Exploration
This page lists the "features" that we feel are important and provides a place for us to record the results of our investigations into the two front-runner frameworks, Foundation and Bootstrap.

Some of the main discussion centred around how our UI Options component might interact with a CSS framework:
- What value would this provide to integrators?
- Could this reduce the work integrators have to do to their page to make it work with UIO?
- Could it make current or future planned transformations easier?
- By supporting a framework, will there be new features we can add to UIO previously not possible (or was too costly to implement)?
- What problems might this cause for integrators using a different framework?

We discussed the possibility of providing adapters to allow UIO to work easily with different CSS frameworks. While this was felt to be too much of a maintenance and testing burden, we recognized that the implementation could be made to at least support this option in the future.

Justin just added another question: Is our primary focus
a) simplifying our process for making sites/demos/components? or
b) simplifying integrators' work at using UIO?

Our next steps are to investigate some of the questions we still have and record our findings on the wiki page mentioned above.

acheetham at ocadu.ca           Inclusive Design Institute
                                        OCAD University