Ligature fonts...

Tony Atkins tony at raisingthefloor.org
Thu Aug 7 10:32:42 EDT 2014

Hi, All:

We were talking about fonts and stumbled upon a topic of broader interest
to the group, namely "ligature fonts":

http://demosthenes.info/blog/620/Why-You-Should-Consider-A-Ligature-Icon-Font-For-Your-Next-Project

In this model, the word "user" in our custom font is displayed using a
single user icon from our font.

I like the idea that the icon seamlessly degrades to the actual text, but
am concerned that the language in which the ligatures are described is
given special status, i.e. that this trick only works for one language.

I wanted to see if anyone had tried to use ligature fonts, and if so, what
i18n issues they had encountered.  Of course, since I'm sending this to all
of you, I also wanted to see how common AT solutions tend to work with
ligature fonts.

Anyone tried this?

Cheers,

Tony