Choosing a Content Simplification Option

Michelle D'Souza michelled33 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 20:02:37 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Today we discussed the two content simplification options (the designs are on the wiki: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/%28Floe%29+UI+Options+Design+Walkthrough%2C+C.1) in order to decide which to implement first. You'll find the notes from our meeting below.

After some conversation and a high level tasking session, we feel that implementing the 'responsive layout' option first has several advantages. This design is easier for us to implement, builds upon cross device best practices and gives the integrator the added benefit of a responsive site. The draw back of this option is that it will be more work for the integrator to add to an existing, non-responsive site. Does anyone feel that it would actually be better to implement the 'table of contents' option first?

Thanks,

Michelle

Option 1 - Responsive Layout

1. Build a settings panel for simplify consisting of an on/off switch
2. Create an enactor to trigger the responsive layout
3. Update the UIO demo to show simplification
4. Document how to build a site to work with simplification

Production Implementation
1. Implement responsive designs on the IDI site
2. Integrate content simplification into the IDI site

Option 2 - Table of Contents

1. Build a settings panel for simplify consisting of an on/off switch
2. Create an enactor to:
	* Strip out everything except the articles on a page
	* Add a table of contents to the page
	* Convert to one column (remove text wrap around images)
	* Increase text size and line spacing automatically
3. Create an API for a site wide table of contents that contains:
	* Links to other pages on the site
	* Links to headers on the current page
4. Implement the table of contents menu button which expands into the table of contents
5. Change the UIO demo to have more than 1 page and a table of contents
6. Document how to build a site to work with simplification

Production Implementation
1. Integrate content simplification into the IDI site
2. Implement search on the IDI site and add it to the table of contents