Video Player issues

David Fourney dfourney at ryerson.ca
Wed Apr 24 12:07:39 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have been exploring the video player as a candidate for some usability testing (particularly the transcript mode). However, there are some issues that I have observed and I am wondering if someone can discuss them with me  and possibly get some of these issues fixed.

Here are the issues:
1. The video player breaks in Chrome in fullscreen. I downloaded an earlier version from January which works fine but the current one does not.

2. The player does not provide a full screen control in Opera. Worse, double-clicking on the video (the standard action to get stuff into fullscreen in Opera) does not appear to work either. This is particularly bad since Opera is currently the most compliant browser for WebVTT support. Using the video player would make sense for adding a transcript view to the current default browser behaviour.

3. If there is only one language available for the transcript, the grey box at the top still shows a dropdown menu. If there is only one language to choose from why have a menu? It just adds clutter. It is not obvious to me how to get rid of this dropdown menu and treat the language available as the "default".

Another issue with this grey box is that, in full screen mode, it scales up to become a much larger than needed box. This has a visual aesthetic impact.

4. Is there a way to hardcode the UI Options? The options panel is very useful, but if you only want to show the page in a specific way to test specific views, is there an easy way to hardcode the options (e.g., turn on transcripts by default, turn on captions by default, turn on both by default, turn on a specific language option, etc.)?

5. Does the transcript view support WebVTT? The demo videos all use JSON files for transcripts and WebVTT for captions. It would seem to me that if you have one or more WebVTT files, you would not want to recode them all into JSON, just reuse them in the transcript mode. While I like that the player supports Amara, WebVTT is the current W3C standard and should be supported for transcript views.

6. Is there a way to resize or reposition the transcript box? For some users, I can see the default width of the box being too small. They may want it to start a little bit more to the left. I can see other users wanting the transcript to appear on the left side of the video rather than the right (or even below or above the video).

7. The transcript appears to get collapsed into one big runon paragraph creating some readability issues. How can this be broken up so that new lines appear at logical points?

Thanks for the ongoing work in this project,
David.

--------
David Fourney, Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
Ryerson University
Toronto, Canada