UIO Design Questions

Cheetham, Anastasia acheetham at ocadu.ca
Fri Apr 5 15:44:04 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-05, at 2:50 PM, Johnny Taylor wrote:

> As for you're second question, as counter productive as this sounds and likely is, making said chevrons not focusable might be worth considering. Cos a keyboard user would land on each focusable element regardless of the chevrons being usable/ focusable or not. It actually might add potentially 2 redundant steps?
>
> I know, that wasn't your question, but answering that question I guess is similar to making skip links visible on focus. I say, as a keyboard user, yes, make skip links visible on focus and bring off screen panels into view. Both are confusing otherwise. My two cents.

Johnny, thanks for your input. Your comments *do* answer my question, which was: How would users bring off-screen panels into view? Your point is that as a keyboard user tabs through the controls, the panels would naturally scroll into focus; is that a correct paraphrasing? In that case, yes, you wouldn't want the chevrons to be focusable.

We weren't sure whether or not the designers had envisioned some other way of bringing panels into view without requiring tabbing through all the controls. Joanna seems to have answered that question with the wiki page she's working on, which describes exactly the interaction you describe.

acheetham at ocadu.ca           Inclusive Design Institute
                                        OCAD University