Testing Framework Community Meeting

Zenevich, Yura yzenevich at ocadu.ca
Wed Oct 31 16:48:24 EDT 2012

Hi all,

As some of you might know we had a really nice community meeting and attempted
to centralize the testing framework effort done so far in multiple projects
(VideoPlayer, CollectionSpace).

Here are some of the things that came out of the meeting:

We established that we would probably need a "test environment" component
that is responsible for running synchronous and asynchronous jqUnit tests.

"Test environment" is also responsible for accumulating (if necessary) the
context for the component test (Context is probably represented as a group of
other components resolvable via IoC).

Multiplicity of these "test environment"s should be facilitated through grades.
For example:

    Basic test environment with no context would probably only need "test" and
    "asyncTest" methods. Then we can create a new grade based on the basic one
    with something specified in the context.

Invocation of these grades can be done in various ways. Perhaps directly;
perhaps through some kind of utility that is part of the testing framework
itself; perhaps similarly to how others do it, for example:

fluid.testEnv.require(
    ["fluid.testEnv.componentA", "fluid.testEnv.componentB.stub"], // Grades
    function (testEnv) {
    // This is just an example how you could get the exact testEnv that you
    // need for your test.
    }
);

Please lets start the conversation and please let me know if I misinterpreted
some of the things that we've discussed,

Yura