Removing WAR file builds from Infusion 1.5

Clark, Colin cclark at ocadu.ca
Mon Aug 13 14:16:32 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Since its inception, the Infusion build process has supported the creation of a Java Web Application Archive (WAR) package containing Infusion. This is included as part of the standard build process, and delivered in all packages built by our web-based Builder application.

It's been years since we ourselves have used this feature, and my sense is that few if any of our users have ever taken advantage of it. Since Infusion is just plain old HTML, CSS, and JavaScript files in a simple directory layout, it's easy enough for people to include it with their server-side applications in just about any programming language out there.

The creation of Java WAR files brings with it a fair bit of overhead, including additional complexity when installing Infusion's build tools (i.e. Maven). Given that we are anticipating a complete rewrite of our build system using modern tools such as Node.js, now seems like a good time to shed some extra weight and complexity. It also might give users the mistaken impression that Infusion is somehow Java-specific.

I'd like to propose that we remove support for building Java WAR files from Infusion 1.5. In my mind, this is long overdue and will have minimal impact on our users. To this end, I have done the work of removing it from our Ant scripts and simplified our directory structure to go with it:

https://github.com/colinbdclark/infusion/compare/master...FLUID-4740-no-webapp-directory

I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments before I make a pull request for this issue.

Lead Software Architect,
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University
http://inclusivedesign.ca