UI Options enhancing links

Cheetham, Anastasia acheetham at ocadu.ca
Fri Aug 10 19:08:49 UTC 2012

Lisa at OER Commons has been testing our integration of UI Options into OER Commons, and she pointed out that UI Options' enhancement of links is not being applied very consistently.

The enhancement is supposed to make links larger, bold and underlined. The styles that are used for this do not use the !important flag, so in many cases, the default styling of a site overrides the UIO enhancement and the links are not fully enhanced. You can see this on the IDI site:
    http://inclusivedesign.ca
When links are enhanced through UIO, some links are bolded and enlarged, but not underlined, some are only bolded, etc.

We had some discussion here in the lab about how to address this issue and we came up with a proposal. We'd like to run this proposal by the community for input.

The Proposal:

- UIEnhancer will add a single UIO-specific class to links (e.g. fl-uio-enhance-link) instead of the current three basic FSS classes (fl-text-underline, fl-text-bold and fl-text-larger). The definition of this single class will use !important on each of the three styles:

  .fl-uio-enhance-link {
    font-size: 125% !important;
    text-decoration: underline !important;
    font-weight: bold !important;
  }

- If a site *really* wants some links to not be underlined (or bolded, or enlarged) for some reason, even via UIO (for example, if a link is being used more like a tab), then it's up to the site implementor to add !important in their own styles to prevent UIO from acting. We will document this in the guidelines for how to make your site more amenable to UIO.

acheetham at ocadu.ca           Inclusive Design Institute
                                        OCAD University