Updating the framework to jQuery 1.7.2 and jQuery UI 1.8.18

Antranig Basman antranig.basman at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 5 02:28:12 UTC 2012

Thanks to reports from NickMayne, I have been testing out this upgrade - once using a matched set of jQuery
core and UI most of the mysterious problems went away - although I can't readily find any advertisement on
the jQuery UI site that advertises that it might have such sensitive version dependency. However, I did run
into a small but relatively fatal issue that stopped many of our components working - there has at some
recent point been a change in the semantic of the jQuery methods $.text() and $.html() which matches the
rather unfortunate change that they made to $.val() for jQuery 1.5.1.

As you may remember, this now treats a call to $.text(undefined) quite differently to a call to $.text() -
this is a kind of subtle malignity for which I think any framework author should be strongly criticised.
Matching the strategy we took for the previous upgrade, I have supplied framework shims fluid.text() and
fluid.html() which mirror the existing fluid.value() which we have been maintaining for some time - I
recommend that these be used once the branch is merged in cases where there might possibly be any doubt as
to semantic.

So far this seems to have resolved all the issues I saw (and which NickMayne reported) but I am not issuing
a pull request yet since my testing has been extremely thin. Anyone who is interested and improbably has any
time this week might like to check out my branch at

https://github.com/amb26/infusion/tree/FLUID-4684

Cheers,
Antranig