We're hiring a systems developer!
cclark at ocad.ca
Fri Sep 30 14:09:38 UTC 2011
The Inclusive Design Research Centre here at OCAD University is hiring a systems developer to help at the intersection between system administration and software development. This is a pretty exciting opportunity to work with the shiny new infrastructure we're architecting for the Inclusive Design Institute, as well as to contribute to the Fluid community and our associated projects.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this position, let me know!
The Inclusive Design Research Centre is a vibrant research and development centre at OCAD University where an international community of open source developers, designers, researchers, advocates, and volunteers work together to ensure that emerging information technology and practices are designed inclusively.
We are a flexible non-profit work environment committed to designing software that is inclusive of the full range of human diversity. The IDRC builds innovative new open source tools such as Fluid Infusion and ATutor. We also help improve the user experience of the open web by contributing to projects such as jQuery UI, Mozilla, and GNOME.
INCLUSIVE DEVELOPER (SYSTEMS)
Reporting to the Manager/Lead Architect, Inclusive Design Research Centre (IDRC), the Inclusive Systems Developer works with developers, designers, and other IDRC staff to build, maintain, and support accessible web applications, servers, and networking infrastructure.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Implement and maintain stable, monitored, and automated systems (i.e. servers, backups, databases, websites, security, mailing lists, wikis, blogs, etc.) that support IDRC’s research and development activities
* Communicate clear plans and roadmaps with project stakeholders and the wider community
* Ensure systems are stable, optimized, and support the needs of innovative research and development on the Web
* Develop collaborative processes and practices for monitoring, optimizing and supporting IDRC’s infrastructure
* Document infrastructure inventory and practices for both technical and non-technical audiences
* Working closely with the development team, design, develop, and deploy user interfaces and applications using a variety of architectures and technologies.
* Support and streamline the process of moving applications from development into prototype, working with developers to ensure a reliable and agile deployment environment, including contributing to development using common standards and a variety of programming languages, toolkits, and other technologies
* Collaborate with Inclusive Designers and testers to ensure that the implemented user interfaces are highly usable, accessible, inclusive, visually appealing, and efficient
* Communicate with IDRC staff and stakeholders to ensure prototypes/applications meet the needs of the larger community
* Participate in professional communities (i.e. project communities, open source system administrators, etc.) by collaborating, sharing and presenting innovative ideas, as required
* Assist the Manager/Lead Architect and IDRC staff in other tasks that contribute to the successful operation of the IDRC
* Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or Engineering with advanced courses in computer software, computer interface, network administration, with a minimum of three years work experience, or equivalent
* Extensive experience administering mixed-platform environments, with a particular emphasis on Linux servers; familiarity with Ubuntu and Debian-based system is preferred
* Extensive experience with virtualization of servers, infrastructure, support, and maintenance
* Experience working with, supporting, or contributing to an open source project and experience with collaborative
development tools, such as source code repositories, bug tracking and wiki based documentation
* Strong command of open source systems applications, Content Management Systems, Wikis, and programming languages for development and scripting
* Familiarity with: various methods of automation; test-driven development and building maintainable large-scale systems
* Strong planning, analytic and problem solving skills with a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines and the ability to respond effectively to multiple and changing priorities
* Strong oral, written and presentation communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills and judgement, with a demonstrated ability to deal with sensitive or confidential matters with discretion and tact
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and participate collaboratively in a distributed team environment
* Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and diversity and proven ability to deal effectively with a diverse population
* Must be willing and able to work outside of regular work hours occasionally to address service disruptions, as necessary
HOURS OF WORK: Monday to Friday, for a total of 35 hours per week.
COMPENSATION: $46,093.54 to $60,590.13 per annum, plus benefits
Interested candidates are invited to submit an updated resume, with a cover letter and to apply online by visiting the Employment Opportunities page of our website:
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Thursday, October 13, 2011
Lead Software Architect,
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University
More information about the fluid-work