FLUID-4525: Update of simplifying fat panel

Antranig Basman antranig.basman at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 25 05:49:41 UTC 2011

Hi Cindy - it is great that you have got so far with this
implementation. Good luck with resolving the remaining rendering bugs
tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't think this current plain sailing can be
completely guaranteed - since it is virtually certain that on some
version of IE that this "jQueryless" strategy will break.

To recall Colin's remarks from our meeting last week, I think we are
prepared to "soft-pedal" IE6 and IE7 compatibility issues for now,
pending an evaluation of the needs of our userbase and the state of our
resources. However, it would be worthwhile to try your current "free 'n
easy" implementation with IE9 at least to see if it explodes horribly.

As Colin remarked, "this is not policy" but currently it looks like we
see our way to thorough testing on IE8 and IE9 with at least the
potential to have to revive earlier versions depending on conditions.

Looking forward to the final destruction of the "swappedFatPanelMapping",
Boz

PS "fluid.uiOptoins.renderUIOptions" is an odd name, and doesn't really
express its binding to the FatPanel configuration. Perhaps it would be a
good opportunity to continue the namespace rationalisation we started
before the release and create a fluid.uiOptions.fatPanel namespace to
mirror the other two configurations?

One route to making the configurations even more similar is to simply
modify the type of "uiOptionsLoader" in the standard "inline" hierarchy.
If it can be made to take responsibility for iframe loading and
rendering as well as just standard template loading, and delay the
firing of its "onUIOptionsTemplateReady" event until all this is done,
we could keep the overall "inline" arrangement and therefore save on
even the remainder of "swappedFatPanelMapping".

This is just a suggestion and it may not prove to be practical, but I
think it is worth a try