Pull requests and review on every merge to master

Michelle D'Souza michelled33 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 19:22:12 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Now that we have 1.4 out I think it's a good time to reflect on our process and consider if we want to make some changes. We had a very long bug parade this time around which has got us into the habit of working in branches and making pull requests. I really like working in this way and I'm wondering what people think about extending that process to open coding.

On the positive side it will mean that at least two people will have knowledge of code before it gets into the master repo. It should also catch bugs earlier in the process and might cut down on some of the review tasks we end up doing at the end of a release cycle.

On the negative side it means that people with push access to the repo will need to be vigilant about looking at pull requests throughout the release cycle.

I'd love to hear what other people think about this as we enter open coding again.

Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle D'Souza
Senior Inclusive Developer
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University