FLUID-4504 focus styling issue

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 21:42:56 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'll try to summarize the issues we've been pondering both in the IRC channel and here on list, just so we're all on the same page.

The original issue that Gary Thompson and the uPortal community reported about the FSS is pretty straightforward: we were placing a very thick black border on all focused elements by default. This was specified at the very lowest level of FSS, the reset file. As a result, users of the FSS were constantly required to override the focus indicator style, ensuring that it was more appropriate for the look and feel of their site.

Gary sensibly recommended that we not style :focus by default at such a low level. Our reset files are intended to be neutral-- they establish a common baseline from which a cross-browser look and feel can be defined. Heavy-handed focus styling doesn't belong here, so we made the right decision to remove it early in the Infusion 1.4 release cycle.

The next question is, should we be styling :focus by default at a higher level in our theme files? At the moment, we do ship default focus styles in each theme, but they are scoped to the .fl-focus class. As a result, if users want to use our standard theme-specific focus styles, they simply need to place this class name on the appropriate parent element. In practice, this will typically be the body. Without the inclusion of .fl-focus, the browser's default styling will prevail. This is an opt-in system.

There's a distinct disadvantage to an opt-in system: users need to know about it, and there is the risk that they never bother to do so if needed. This leaves it up to the user agent to style the focus indicator appropriately. Firefox is particularly subtle with this; one hopes that this may improve in the future.

Explore an opt-out solution, we're not fully clear what impact placing a default :focus style in our themes will have on users who are using a theme as a baseline for styling their own look and feel. My gut feeling is that we probably should indeed style :focus by default, since themes are typically the place where colour and appearance issues are defined. But I'd like us to contemplate the issue and do some real-world tests before we go ahead with it.

The risk of switching to an opt-out system for Infusion 1.4 is that if we get it wrong, we will potentially inconvenience users in a future release, since they'll have to opt-in to get previously default behaviour. Looking at it holistically, James has also suggested that we may want to revisit the nature of our themes for Infusion 1.5 anyway, so that seems like a good time to make the fix.

So, in short, we'll ship Infusion 1.4 with an opt-in approach to focus styling in the themes. Authors simply need to place the .fl-focus class name on the body of their document, and they'll get our awesome default styling for free. If they want the browser's default styling, or want to take care of styling it themselves, they can omit .fl-focus and do whatever works best for their users. We'll revisit this decision for Infusion 1.5.

Seem reasonable?

Colin