Proposal: Fluid Studios

Clark, Colin cclark at ocad.ca
Wed Nov 30 22:32:13 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

For awhile now, we've been keen to find new ways to engage with a broader community of designers, developers, testers, and users who are committed to improving the usability and accessibility of open source software. While Infusion remains a core area of our activity, Fluid is more than just our framework and components. To this end, I'd like to propose a new initiative within the Fluid community called the Fluid Studios, an informal space to incubate new ideas, projects and collaborations.

Based on discussions with many people in the community, I have written up a description of the Fluid Studios and the impact we hope it will have on the growth and reach of our community. Joanna Vass has also attached mockups of the Fluid Studios gallery website to give you a more concrete sense of what we will offer at first:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Fluid+Community+Studios

While there are still a lot of details to be worked out, I'd love to see us take the initiative to start incubating new ideas, design sketches, student projects, and more. We'll take little steps: define our goals, set up the Studios gallery website, and welcome newcomers onto our fluid-talk mailing list and our IRC channel. As a first step, James Yoon has offered to pilot the Studios concept with his Inclusive Design Lab course students:

http://www.ocad.ca/students/records_registration/course_calendar/1112/graduate/courses.htm#INCD+6C01

What do you think of this idea? Feedback, comments, and suggestions are always appreciated.

Lead Software Architect,
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University
http://inclusivedesign.ca