FSS-Reset Proposal

Justin Obara obara.justin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 20:18:08 UTC 2011

At the FSS meeting today, we talked about a couple of proposals for addressing fss-reset, see below. Please let us know which solution you prefer and why. I'm hoping that we'll be able to come to a consensus on what is the best approach to take.

Thanks
Justin

Proposal #1
-----------------

Depricate the current fss-reset.css file and switch to using the reset, base, and font files from YUI3, including both the global and in-context versions of the files. These files would all be provided individually (not concatenated).

Rationale #1
----------------

rely on YUI's expertise and resources
it's more widely used and familiar CSS
basically our current fss-reset is a componsition of YUI2's reset, base, and font files. Including YUI directly is more explicit about this
fss-reset.css mixes together reset, base, and font and might be too much for some users.
it both clears all styles and sets default styling

Cons #1
------------

confusing to be carrying around 2 reset files
themes are likely built with the assumption that one of the resets has been applied
YUI3 namespaces their in-context version, but includes the version number in the namespace. This will make upgrading difficult for our users.

Proposal #2
-----------------

Keep fss-reset.css as is, and add a contextual/scoped version. This would be similar to how YUI3 has an in-context version. In this case the user would be able to only reset portions of the document, rather than having it affect the entire page when included.

Rationale #2
------------------

By keeping fss-reset, it keeps things stable. There will be no need to worry about backwards compatibility.
The additional contextual/scoped version allows for more flexibility in the use of the fss-reset on a page.

Cons #2
------------

This doesn't include an update to the latest YUI 3 files.
Users who have found the FSS too heavy handed will continue to

Proposal #2b
------------------

Same as proposal 2, with the exception of breaking up the fss-reset into multiple files. For example fss-reset-clear.css and fss-reset-base.css (names are just examples, not necessarily what we will use). The fss-reset file would remain, but would only include information to link in the other two files.

Rationale #2b

This adds even more flexibility on top of Proposal #2, by allowing users to pick and choose what they like.
For example, if you want the reset, but not the default base styles.
Backwards compatibility is preserved by maintaining the single fss-reset.css file which fetches the two parts.

Cons #2b

Lots of extra files. reset will grow from 1 file to 6, after including the contextual/scoped versions.
Importing CSS from another CSS file will slightly increase the overhead of fetching the resources for a page.