handling dependencies between repos

Justin Obara obara.justin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 21:05:34 UTC 2011

At today's dev meeting we talked about what to do with dependencies between our repositories. In the past, we were able to make use of SVN's external feature. This allowed us to have bi-directional access to an external part of the repo or another repo entirely. After moving to git, we not only broke up the large svn repo into smaller repos, but also no longer have access to use externals. With git we have a few options: subtree merges, submodules, or separate clones. None of these, however, matches what we had in svn.

Here's what we've decided to do to handle these issues.

For any repo that does not have a direct relationship to infusion (i.e. builder, decapod, etc), we should make a custom build of infusion that it runs off of.
For any repo that has a direct dependency on infusion (e.g. engage), it should use some sort of script which can be run, to automatically pull in all the necessary dependencies.

Thanks
Justin