JSLinting

Antranig Basman antranig.basman at colorado.edu
Tue Mar 8 17:38:59 UTC 2011

Hi Noah - thanks for the pointer - we had indeed noted the existence of jshint - it looks like a great
direction and ultimate repository for these changes but so far hadn't done anything about it simply because
of lack of understanding of proper "git mechanics" - since jshint isn't actually a "fork" but actually a
completely separate cloned and renamed development of jslint, branches and commits can't be shared directly
between the projects. Right now jslint's fork cloud still has greater activity than jshint and so it seems
reasonable to "wait and see" how the various community dynamics sort themselves out over the next few months.
Secondly, there are a few "Fluid-specific" parts of the UI in particular that I'm not clear how we could
maintain as a "privately tracked" set of changes - that is, something version-managed but not something that
all users get as default. This is probably possible with git but I'm not sure how. If jslint were itself
based more heavily on Fluidic technologies, rather than Crockford's rather brittle DOM manipulation library,
this would be also easier to see how to do in the app itself rather than through VCS - but at the moment,
either path looks like a moderately hard one to set up in such a way that it is low-maintenance for all users.
Certainly once our ideas about what linting features we want and also our implementation stabilises,
harmonising our implementation with a version tracked and used in the wider community is an attractive one.
Linting, of course, so often degenerates into a form of "bikeshed painting" :)

On 08/03/2011 10:15, Noah Botimer wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Secondly, an option to tolerate two variants for block indentation of "run-on" control structures, being if...else and try..catch..finally - original JSLint would ONLY tolerate the following variant
>> if (cond) {
>>     material 1;
>> } else if {
>>     material 2;
>> }
>> whereas we may now tolerate BOTH the above variant and ALSO the following (I believe more commonly seen) form (elsecatch)
>> if (cond) {
>>     material 1;
>> }
>> else if {
>>     material 2;
>> }
>>
>> Thirdly, an option to tolerate zero or one spaces in a few cases around operators - the vast majority remain at the original defaults of requiring exactly 1 space for binary operators (&&, ===, etc.) and zero spaces for unary operators (++, --) but at least in my opinion, our rules for spaces following the "function" keyword have been annoyingly inconsistent, with exactly zero spaces tolerated in one case and exactly one space tolerated in another. With the option (operator), either zero or one space are tolerated - for example, both
>> var x = function (x) {....
>> and
>> var x = function(x) {...
>> are acceptable.
>>
>> The indentation rules in general are unchanged in this implementation, apart from a few bug fixes in cases of multiple constructs per line which would sometimes lead to original JSLint to recommend NO indentation on the next, multiply nested line which was clearly a bug (constructions like
>> var y = fluid.transform(list, function(value, key) {
>>     ... would often require faulty indenting HERE. )
>>
>> Fourthly, there is a new "emergency escape" rule in the form of a specially formatted comment accepted on a line (this is a common option with the implementations of linting tools in the C world from which JSLint takes heritage) - of the form // jslint:ok - this allows a one-off override of the linting rules for a particular line of code that has been determined through specific inspection to be safe. Clearly this rule must be used very sparingly since most linting violations (especially in the new implementation) are genuine. It was used a few times in the renderer code, particularly to allow exceptions for the "var x is already defined" warning caused by JavaScript's anomalous scoping rules, and for the "do not declare functions in a loop" rule which is a blanket recommendation which JSLint makes without any inspection of the flow involved. In particular, functions which do not bind to the loop counter variable for the loop they are nested in should be excepted from thi
s rule. Lots of the renderer code is quite intricate and allowing a handful of violations (in my opinion) allowed the code to remain more readable by not having to arbitrarily rename some variables which clearly served the same function, or reduce locality by breaking small anonymous functions out of loops.