What are your top 5 issues?

Cheetham, Anastasia acheetham at ocad.ca
Thu Jan 20 18:21:43 UTC 2011

On 2011-01-20, at 12:23 PM, Colin Clark wrote:

>>> Can you elaborate on how you think this one should be reconceived?
>>
>> Well, if the Pager is modified so that the self-rendered version is the default, then that alone should dramatically improve the ease of use. Also, there's the plan to IoC-ify the Pager, which would also affect the basic API. I just wonder if the need for convenience methods might want to be re-visited after some of this work, just to double-check just what the right path should be.
>
> It's going to be awhile still before we get to replacing the existing Pager with a newer version that supports IoC. In the meantime, our approach to the Pager is to support the one we've got, fix bugs in it, and try to incrementally make it easier to use. That's the right path, in my mind.
>
> We've generally moved away from the use of convenience methods for most components except the Reorderer. It seems to me that the best use for these convenience methods is when there is no single set of "good defaults."
> So can you elaborate on what sorts of conveniences a user might need when they're invoking a Pager?

I think we're in agreement that we'd prefer to have good defaults than require convenience methods. Modifying the Pager to use the Renderer out of the box will change what the defaults for the component are, and until that work is complete, it's difficult to know whether or not we will end up with a single set of "good defaults." That's why the issue should be re-examined *then*, and hopefully we'll be able to close it as "won't fix, not needed."

acheetham at ocad.ca            Inclusive Design Institute
                                        OCAD University