engage demo -- what is the correct link?

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 20:48:52 UTC 2011

Hey Jess,

On 2011-01-06, at 3:21 PM, Jess Mitchell wrote:
> I was contacted by a grant collaborator who told me he had trouble getting to the Engage demo.  I asked for his path because when I go to
> http://fluidengage.org and click on Engage Demo which takes me to: http://fluidengage.org/engage/home/home.html it works.

That link is the definitive, stable, "try it out" version of Engage, and definitely where people should go to see it and use it.

> Here are two that don't work:
>
> 1. from http://build.fluidproject.org/ click on Fluid Engage Mobile http://build.fluidproject.org/engage/home/home.html
> it throws an error
>
> 2. And in the wiki from http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Mobile+Demo links to http://build.fluidproject.org:8095/engage/home/home.html#app/home.html?lang=en
> also throws an error

These two links point to the same instance of Engage, which is rebuilt daily. We haven't been doing a very good job of keeping Engage current with changes in our server infrastructure and framework, however. I believe the error we're seeing is due to server configuration and is something we can certainly get Jamon to look into. On the other hand, Infusion has been pushing forward at such a rapid pace that I'm not sure recent releases of it even work with Engage. The upcoming jQuery 1.5 release is also likely to cause minor breakage in the Env.js browser compatibility library that we use for Kettle.

Undoubtedly much of Engage's technology is still very important to us and something we'll continue to move forward in the coming months, but for now I'm tempted to recommend that we retire the Engage daily build until we've had an opportunity to come back around and do some key infrastructural tasks like porting Kettle to Node.js and the like.

We've still got the stable demo version, which is cool.