UI Options and user preferences stored locally (was: Re: 1.3 release next steps)

Richard Schwerdtfeger schwer at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 4 14:59:27 UTC 2011

Hi Colin,

Response below.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group

Colin Clark <colinbdclark at gmail.com> wrote on 12/23/2010 04:21:49 PM:

> From: Colin Clark <colinbdclark at gmail.com>
> To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
> Cc: Fluid Work <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>, Gregg Vanderheiden
> <gv at trace.wisc.edu>, Antranig Basman <amb26 at ponder.org.uk>
> Date: 12/23/2010 04:22 PM
> Subject: UI Options and user preferences stored locally (was: Re: 1.
> 3 release next steps)
>
> Rich,
>
> I don't have any specific links to send you yet on the topic of
> local data storage for AccessForAll preferences, but here are a few
> things related to the topic:

Are you looking at AfA version 3.0? As you know Anastasia contributes to
that specification.

> * UI Options, an Infusion component that enables users to specify
> their styling and navigation preferences, will be expanded to
> include a variety of needs and preferences. Media enhancement,
> documentation transformation, layout and simplification, and more.
> We currently store these preferences in a rough JSON format.The plan
> in the new year is to redesign UI Options and create a more
> comprehensive JSON binding for AccessForAll, suitable for storage
> anywhere, including locally or in the cloud.
>
> Overview page: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/User
> +Interface+Options
> Demo: http://fluidproject.org/releases/1.3/demos/uiOptions/demo.html
>
> * Infusion mobile themes for Android and iPhone: these were created
> as part of our work on Fluid Engage, and enable users to quickly and
> easily use the Fluid Skinning System with WebKit-based mobile
> devices. Our plan for the FLOE Project is to introduce some new
> client and server-side infrastructure that will automatically
> deliver the correct theme based on device type or user preference
> (as expressed by the user in UI Options).
>
> Overview: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Mobile+FSS
> Demo (try this with WebKit): http://fluidproject.org/releases/1.3/
> demos/fss/mobile/demo.html
>
> In the new year, Antranig and the UI Options team are planning to
> start work on cloud-based user preferences storage. The plan is to
> create a reference implementation of a user preferences server
> integrated with OpenID. I know that you have some concerns about
> OpenID, but I think it offers the only reasonable starting place for
> being able to demonstrate widely-supported cloud based user
> authentication. From there, we can talk further about how we might
> want to production-harden the implementation.

As I mentioned to Antranig, I am not a fan of OpenID. It has had very
little industry uptake and is subject to phishing via masquerading
brokers. Last I spoke to IBM security experts they did not support it for
this reason.

I have concerns about using it just to "demonstrate" that we can provide
preferences to an application. We could do that now with web services. I
can't support OpenID as a strategy for GPII.

> As you probably know, HTML 5 local data storage currently has no
> facility for sharing data across domains. This will ultimately have
> to be addressed in the spec and browser vendors will need to
> implement it. In the meantime, the simplest approach for pursuing a
> reference implementation of this would be a browser-based extension
> using Jetpack on Firefox or WebKit's extension mechanism. Writing an
> extension first should allow us to work out the main architectural
> issues and then share back with the HTML 5 committee.

Correct. An extension would be necessary to write cross domains. For
security reasons it is unlikely that an application will be able to write
across domains much the same way that cookies are not allowed to be
written across domains without some intermediary to do the management.
This really needs to be a browser function.

I would prefer GPII focus on the longer term browser solution which could
also synch with GPII preference services vs. spending cycles on OpenID
just for a demo.

I would like to start working a strategy with IBM product teams and Open
Social (an industry trend toward mashups) to fully support AfA but I am
not going to get enterprise buy in on Open ID. In order for
personalization to take off in the enterprise we need a browser solution
that synchs with GPII services.

The last time we spoke you indicated that you were working out the
architectural issues on the browser plug-in. I believe that was in DC. It
seems nothing has been done on that yet so I may have misunderstood you.
Are you saying that you were planning to do the architectural work or are
there documents available to review?

> Fluid's goal in the new year, as part of the FLOE Project, is to do
> the following:
>
> 1. Improve the Fluid Skinning System to enable a variety of
> production-level document transformations
> 2. Update UI Options to improve the user experience and introduce a
> number of new user preferences that go beyond just styling

Are those options fully being vetted via AfA standards?

> 3. Look at cloud and browser-based preferences storage and integration

great.

> 4. Continue evolving our framework to support end user
> personalizable user interfaces with features such as Infusion's
> Inversion of Control framework.
> 5. Integrate these tools and new components with mainstream
> authoring tools such as MediaWiki and Open Educational Resource
> (OER) platforms

That is great. I think, however, for GPII we need to expand beyond these
tools.

> We're quite keen to work with you on any of this and more.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Colin
>
> On 2010-12-23, at 1:29 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
>
> > Hi Colin,
> >
> > Can you point me to the mobile browser work on personalization
> that we discussed on the Fluid site? I want to start looking at A4A
> Integration through HTML 5 local data storage across domains. Last
> we spoke you mentioned that the effort was in the design phase.
> >
> > AfA v3 first public working draft should go out January or February.
> >
> > I want to start look at this for our mobile IBM accessibility
> strategy and of course GPII. It is time to start moving the ball. I
> need to look at Open Social too.
> >
> > Rich
> >

> > Rich Schwerdtfeger
> > CTO Accessibility Software Group
> >
> > <graycol.gif>Colin Clark ---12/22/2010 05:20:46 PM---Hey all,
> We're in the home stretch for the Infusion 1.3 release. Here's
> what's left to do:
> >
> > From:   Colin Clark <colinbdclark at gmail.com>
> > To:   Fluid Work <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>
> > Cc:   "Michelle D'Souza" <mdsouza at ocad.ca>
> > Date:   12/22/2010 05:20 PM
> > Subject:   1.3 release next steps
> > Sent by:   fluid-work-bounces at fluidproject.org
> >

> > Hey all,
> >
> > We're in the home stretch for the Infusion 1.3 release. Here's
> what's left to do:
> >
> > 1. Generate the release packages from the official 1.3 tag
> > 2. Test them
> > 3. Post them to the Web site
> > 4. Update demo links and component progress indicators where necessary
> > 5. Tag and deploy the Infusion Builder
> > 6. Ensure the Builder is pointing to the official tagged version of
Infusion