Documenting how to customize UIO and UIE

Antranig Basman antranig.basman at colorado.edu
Wed Aug 31 17:45:42 UTC 2011

+1 for documenting those things which it makes sense for our users to configure, and which have planned them
to configure
-1 for documenting those things which it doesn't make sense to configure and/or which our current
architecture doesn't support easily configuring

We didn't implementing munging for UIEnhancer since its hierarchy is not *very* deep - only 2 levels. Most
of the options available on the subcomponents there are sensibly configurable.
We implemented munging for UIOptions since its hierarchy is not only very deep but also liquid - the exact
position of different subcomponents moves about not only between configurations but also during
implementation work in a way that users shouldn't be expected to predict.

It's a fair assumption that anything which has been munged is something which should be documented.

The "onReady" event present on uiOptionsLoader should be documented, and the other events are private.

Also, anything which is an option (rather than a subcomponent) in UIEnhancer is something which should be
documented. Including options on its subcomponents.

As a negative point, we are not expecting any of the subcomponent structure itself within UIOptions and
UIEnhancer to be ordinarily configurable by users. The design of UIOptions and of the framework is not yet
sufficiently flexible to allow the implementation to successfully adapt to most changes in component
structure. The only except to this seems to be the settingsStore for UIEnhancer.

Given the bulk of this hierarchy is IoC driven, users *can* muck in and configure anything they want by
inspecting the defaults and demands configuration for the component - without having to fork or monkey-patch
our code - but we are not supporting this and they should know that this configuration won't remain stable
for 1.5. However we should point out to them that this option is there - since if they are at the stage of
desperation where they are considering forking or monkey-patching, they will be well beyond being influenced
by considerations of API stability.

Cheers,
Antranig