Documenting how to customize UIO and UIE

Cheetham, Anastasia acheetham at ocad.ca
Wed Aug 31 15:08:18 UTC 2011

UI Options and UI Enhancer have various options and subcomponents that are technically amenable to configuration. However, we've decided that for 1.4, we are *not* expecting or recommending that integrators actually do any configuration: We want them to just use it out of the box and leave it at that (correct me if I'm wrong, of course).

My first question is this:

Should we be documenting all the options/subcomponents that could technically be configured, or should we deliberately avoid any mention of anything we *don't* want people to play with?

My second question would be:

If the latter course is decided upon, which options/subcomponents will we consider "public" (and therefore documented) for 1.4?

Here is a starting list of potential customizations that integrators might want to carry out. Which of would we support for 1.4, which not? Are there others we will support, and therefore need to document?

- custom text on the show/hide button of fat-panel UIO
- custom path to a preview file for full-with-preview
- custom contents of drop-downs
   - addition of font families
   - addition of themes
- custom default site settings
- custom path to table-of-contents template file
- custom ranges on the sliders
   - larger max font size
   - larger max line spacing
- custom settings store (i.e. something other than a cookie)

acheetham at ocad.ca            Inclusive Design Institute
                                        OCAD University